Happy Thanksgiving from Englund Construction!
Did you know that Thanksgiving Day home fires cause more property damage and claim more lives than fires on any other day of the year? Obviously, cooking is the leading cause of the home fires on Thanksgiving Day.
The kitchen is the heart of the home, especially on Thanksgiving Day. The area can be quite chaotic with all of the main and side dishes being prepared all at once. Prior planning and preparation can prevent throwing things together last minute, and can help you organize your time more efficiently.
With the large groups of people and football games going on, it can get crazy. It’s not hard to forget about a pot of something cooking in the corner, but this can be very dangerous. Most of the fires on Thanksgiving are caused by unattended appliances.
Deep frying your turkey is more dangerous than more traditional methods. Turkey fryers can be tricky, and they can tip over and spill hot grease all over the place. Grease fires can be deadly and spread really quickly. If you do like deep frying your turkey, use extreme caution and never leave it unattended.
If you want to make sure your kitchen is free from fire damage this year, you can try to follow some of our Turkey Day safety tips:
- Pay attention to your turkey. If you plan on letting it cook for hours on end, have a “keep watch” schedule with your housemates and check it regularly.
- Plan out your day and meal plan. If you want to watch the game, plan to have most of the cooking already done before it starts, so you are not distracted while cooking.
- Do not overfill the oil in the fryer pot. If you overfill, it can lead to hot oil spattering and spilling over when you lower the turkey into it. Oil can hit the burner on the stove and instantly catch on fire (and spread quickly)
- NEVER spray water on a grease fire. It will spread and get out of control. Keep a fire extinguisher handy especially if you are deep frying
- If the cooktop is on, do not leave the kitchen. Keep an eye on the food.
- Check food that is baking or roasting regularly
- Keep your pets and children out of the kitchen while the dangerous tasks are being preformed.
We hope you all have a happy, healthy and safe Thanksgiving!